Here are some of the more important events in the Marche, including the celebrated Rossini Opera Festival at Pesaro and the open-air opera season at Macerata.
- Pesaro - The 41st Rossini Opera Festival from 8 to 21 August 2020. The season includes Rossini's Moïse et Pharaon and Elisabetta Regina d'Inghilterra.
Information tel +39 0721 3800294 fax +39 0721 3800220. For full details go to our opera programme page.
- Macerata - The 56th open-air opera season in the magnificent Sferisterio arena from 17 July to 9 August 2020 includes Verdi's Il Trovatore and Mozart's Don Giovanni.
Information tel +39 0733 230735 fax +39 0733 261570. For details go to our opera programme page.
- Ancona - The Teatro delle Muse has a strong opera, classical music and jazz season. Full details on www.teatrodellemuse.org
- Fano - Fano Jazz by the Sea - July. tel +39 0721 8292883
- Polverigi - Festival Internazionale Inteatro - contemporary theatre festival - Villa Comunale Nappi - July. tel +39 071 909007
- Urbino - Early Music Festival - July. tel +39 0722 309601
- San Severino Marche - Blues Festival - July - tel. +39 0733 41252
- Osimo - International Dance Festival - July - Piazza Duomo - tel. +39 071 7249271
- Falerone & Urbisaglia - Teatro Classico - Classical theatre productions staged in two of the Marche's finest Roman amphitheatres - July & August - tel. +39 0734 710115 (Falerone) or
+39 0733 506385 (Urbisaglia)
- Amandola - International Theatre Festival - end August to early September. tel. +39 0736 840704
- Castelfidardo - International Accordion Festival late September. One of the world's leading events dedicated to the instrument. Tel +39 071 7829349.
- Ancona - Ancona Jazz Festival - Teatro Sperimentale - early November. tel. +39 071 217 4239
Eating & drinking or sagre:
Pretty well every town and village throughout Le Marche has some food or wine event, known as a sagra, usually during the summer months. Here are just a few of them :
- Pianello (near Cagli) - Sagra della lumaca (snails) - mid-June
- Apiro (near Cingoli) - Sagra del formaggio pecorino (pecorino cheese)
- Apecchio - Festa della birra (artisan beer festival)
- Matelica - Sagra della rana (frogs)
- Ostra Vetere (near Corinaldo) - Festa della trota (trout) - earlyJuly
- Montemarciano (near Senigallia) - Sagra del pesce (fish)
- Corinaldo - polenta festival on third Sunday in July to commemorate the time when the town's people successfully resisted a siege thanks to copious supplies of the stuff.
- Sefro (near Camerino) - Festa del tortellino alla boscaiola (pasta) - late July
- Castelplanio (near Jesi) - Sagra della crescia sul panaro (stuffed flat bread) - last Sunday of July
- Ostra Vetere (near Corinaldo) - Sapori ed Aromi di Casa Nostra - late July - local food, music and a procession of old farm machines
- Monte Vidon Combatte (near Fermo) - Sagra delle quaglie (quails) - 1st Sunday
- Sassoferrato - Sagra del cinghiale (wild boar)
- Cingoli - Sagra di prosciutto e melone
- Staffolo (near Cingoli) - Festa del Verdicchio (verdicchio wine festival)
- Fermo - Sagra delle vongole (shell fish)
- Serra San Quirico (near Fabriano) - Sagra del coniglio in porchetta (roast rabbit with fennel)
- Monteprandone (near San Benedetto del Tronto) - Sagra delle olive fritte (fried stuffed olives)
- Pedaso - Sagra Nazionale delle cozze (mussels)
- Massignano (near Ascoli Piceno) - Sagra delle frittelle (omelettes)
- Venarotta (near Ascoli Piceno) - Sagra della vitella allo spiedo (spit-roast veal)
- Loro Piceno - Sagra del vin cotto (a sweet "cooked" wine)
- Apiro (near Cingoli) - Sagra della polenta
- Montecassiano - Sagra del pesce (fish)
- Cupramontana - grape festival in the heart of Verdicchio wine country in September.
- Piandimeleto (near Urbino) - Mushroom fair
- Lapedona (near Fermo) - Sagra del vino cotto (a sweet "cooked" wine)
- San Severino Marche - Sagra della porchetta
- Fermo - Sagra della polenta
- Arcevia - Sagra dell'uva (wine festival)
- Ortezzano - Festa dell'uva (wine festival
- Acqualagna (near Cagli) - Fiera nazionale del tartufo (truffle fair) - last weekend in October and first two weekends in November in the town that calls itself the "truffle capital".
- Acquasanta Terme (near Ascoli Piceno) - Festa d'autunno (autumn produce)
- Montemonaco (near Ascoli Piceno) - Sagra della Castagna (chestnut)
- Castelsantangelo sul Nera (near Visso) - Sagra del Marrone Castellano (chestnut)
- Sant'Angelo in Vado (near Urbino) - Mostra del tartufo bianco (white truffle)
- Talamello (near San Leo) - Formaggio di Fossa cheese fair
- Acqualagna (near Cagli) - truffle fair - last weekend in October and first two weekends in November in the village that calls itself the "truffle capital".
Fun & Games:
- Ascoli Piceno La Quintana - jousting in Ascoli's main square on the first Sunday of August. The most authentic "medieval" goings-on in the Marche.
- Urbino Festa del Duca - a jamboree in honour of Duke Federico on the third Sunday in August.
- Cagli Palio dell'Oca - medieval games to win a golden goose in early August.
- Mondavio Wild Boar Hunt - a medieval chase in the square - very jolly. mid-August.
- Fermignano Palio della Rana - yes, a race with frogs in wheelbarrows - the joint is really jumpin' on the first Sunday after Easter.
- Treia Disfida del Bracciale - a fast and furious ancient ball game played out on the first Sunday of August.